Thursday 17 January 2008

Welcome the worms!


Weather: Wet and breezy. Cool night about 2C. Day time 7C

Well - two garden related deliveries in two days! Yesterday my Wiggly Wigglers Can O Worms wormery arrived and they have to take top prize for the most environmentally friendly packaging I've seen. No cardboard, no bubble wrap, no plastic - and even the address label and preliminary instructions are on a circle of paper you later use in the base of the first level of the wormery to stop the 'worm bedding' falling through the holes into the lowest segment that collects all the lovely juice from the composting process! Top marks!

Yesterday evening I set it all up gave my new worms their first feed of kitchen waste and tucked them up for the night.

And if you haven't heard the Wiggly Wiggly podcast I can highly recommend it. As a podcast producer I listen to all sorts of audio on the web but there is no audio I come back to as regularly as the Wiggly Wiggler Podcast. You can find links to it on their website.

The second delivery was this morning and they say good things come in small packages...my vegetable seeds arrived from the Real Seed Catalogue. I love the way they are in re sealable see-through bags with the instructions inside. And I am once again full of hope for the season to come.

My vegetable plot was a disaster last year - most of my seedling were eaten by slugs. I must have lost 80 per cent of my crops to them. That combined with the wet season and the fact that my vegetable patch is becoming increasingly shady as surrounding trees grow...well I am usually more than self sufficient in courgettes but last year I had none!

It was the Real Seed Catalogue's collection of seeds for late sowings that saved the day for me with oriental greens I'd hadn't grown before coming up trumps and I even grew a few fennel bulbs successfully. Their germination rate was great so this year I'm declaring war on the slugs and using Real Seed seed from the off...

Fingers crossed.

No comments: