Saturday 19 January 2008

Pretty in pink...

Weather: Warm and wet - a constant light drizzle is falling but it is 12C. It is on it's way to becoming the wettest January on record!

The sun in the photo on the left isn't from today - it was taken over a week ago...you'll see why in a moment.

I walked a favourite country walk a couple of days back up to my wellied ankles in mud for much of it and turning into the wind on the return stretch a squall with driving horizonatal rain set in. As I walked along the edge of a wood I was glad the wind was blowing across me towards the wood so if any branches had come they'd have blown away from me...

So as I have no intention of working in the garden today other than to gather some of the Rocket and Corn Salad, I mentioned in previous posts, to add to a salad for lunch I will mention my Chaenomeles japonica (Japanese Flowering Quince) . I've no idea what variety it is because it was in the garden when we arrived but the flowers are very definitely dark red.

Very soon it will be in flower outside but last weekend when I was clearing that part of the garden I cut some bare branches and brought them in because I'd heard that if you put them in water they will flower... (refer back to photo one)

They looked rather good even without flowers but now just over a week later they have come into flower - a delicate flamingo pink!

No comments: