Saturday 26 January 2008

Big Garden Birdwatching...

Weather: No frost. Daytime temperature 9C. Sunshine.


I did my Big Garden Birdwatching for the RSPB's annual count this morning. An hour from 10.30 to 11.30. Although it's mild I still got pretty chilly as I stood quietly in the shade for the first half an hour. I retreated indoors to do the final half hour of my watch through the windows. No unusual sightings - although I thought at one point that I wouldn't see a blackbird until a solitary female blackbird bird turned up with just minutes to spare.

The RSPB website seems to be offline so I'll have to save my results and enter them once they are back online.

While doing my birdwatch I decided (at last) where to plant the Rosa Mutabilis that my mother gave me for Christmas. The soil looked good for planting but battling my way into my digustingly untidy shed (notice no photo) I found I didn't have any bonemeal. Although I sometimes cut corners I have learnt that when planting a shrub that will be in position for many years to come its worth giving it a good start. Anyway it was a good excuse for a trip to Waterperry Gardens. It's not the cheapest place for garden supplies but so much nicer to visit than one of the big chains and a nice excuse to have a look round their gardens.

The pond in the photo above is one of my favourite spots at Waterperry and it was looking maginificent in the low winter sunlight.

The snowdrops there were in full bloom which must have the organisers of their snowdrop weekends quaking in their wellies as the aren't until mid February. Perhaps they will turn them into daffodil weekends. Mind you the daffs are already well on their way. Yes - this is Waterperry in Oxfordshire on January 26th!!

No comments: