Monday 7 January 2008

Now you see it - now you don't....almost



Weather: On Sunday started frosty but warmed to about 6C during the day. Sunshine.

Yes I'm a day late with information about yesterday but as it was such a perfect day for gardening I spent all day taking out my overgrown Choisya Ternata. The before and after pictures tell the story - but once out I suppose its footprint was about 2 metres square!

It had been a cutting - given to me by my mother just after we moved here so it was nearly twenty years old. I now have three options

1) To leave the old stump and see if it rejuvenates from there.
2) To prune and encourage the rooted 'pup' I found when taking the old shrub out
3) I have taken cuttings of the original and put them in a trench with sand in the bottom in an empty patch in the vegetable garden.


One of the above will surely mean I will still have a Choisya in the garden....just not such a monster as this had become. At the moment my day's work doesn't exactly improve the look of the corner of the garden but it is now full of promise.

I creak a little this morning - I certainly know I did a good day's work yesterday. And there is still more to do in that corner of the garden to open it up enough for the extra light to help out the crab apple tree which has been struggling, surrounded as it was by tall shrubs. It will remain a shady spot and my next job is to decide what to plant there in its place.

No comments: