Wednesday 6 February 2008

It's nice to be a lunatic...

Weather: After a mild, wet and windy week today is almost spring-like. 7C by breakfast time




The title refers to the immortal lines of Ian Dury! But rhythm sticks aside I have invested in a lunar gardening calendar...is it all twoddle or is there something in it? I see I have to take three things into account. Whether the moon is waxing or waning, ascending or descending, and whether it is a root, an air, a leaf or a fruit day (based on the moon's relationship to the constellations). After my disaster in the vegetable garden last year - have I mentioned that before? - I think it's worth a try.

So - the first thing I did was in lunar calendar terms a disaster. I sowed my lettuce and aubergine seeds on a 'root day' with a descending waning moon. January 27th would have been a great day to have sown root vegetables (albeit rather early). It would have been great to fertilize the soil (for better absorbtion on a waning moon). But for sowing lettuces and aubergines it wasn't auspicious.

I sowed two lots of lettuce - one for my windowsill and one in the greenhouse. The windowsill ones are about an inch tall (I think you'd call them leggy!) This photo is of the greenhouse tray in the propagater. Leggy too, I'm afraid, but probably more down to low light levels than germination I'd say. The Aubergines have yet to show but that isn't unexpected.

If I go by the calendar then I should sow aubergines on a fruit day with a waxing moon...a quick look at the chart and I see I missed one of those yesterday - the 12th of Feb . As for the lettuces the next waxing leaf days is... the 10th. If I get time on either of those days I'll sow some more and compare!

No comments: