Monday 11 February 2008

That's the way to do it!

Weather: frost overnight to -3C. Brilliant sunshine from first light with promise of 14C but the frost in the shade (nearly all my garden) is still apparent at midday.



I've just been recording a Podcast at a most beautiful stately home. Compton Verney is in Warwickshire between Banbury and Stratford and houses a wonderful art gallery owned by the Peter Moores Foundation. My podcast is to encourage more visitors to walk in the grounds which were designed by the great Lancelot 'Capability' Brown in the late 18th century.


As you can see from my photo I had pretty good weather for my visit! The podcast should be published on the Shakespeare Country website by the middle of March in time for their first exhibition of the year.


What a lovely place. It is closed throughout the winter so when I recorded this epsiode of the Talking the Walk podcast I had the grounds to myself and the privilege of being shown round, and recording my walk, with the head groundsman, John Schumann, who is nearing retirement and had taken over the role from his father. We were joined by archictectural and garden historian John Phibbs and between them they provided a fascinating insight into the place as it is now and as it would have been in its stately heyday.


On a completely different tack - I have consulted my In Tune with the Moon calendar (see my previous post) and see that it is a good day for sowing 'leaf' plants as it is a 'leaf' day and a waxing moon. So there's a good excuse to get away from editing the Compton Verney Talking the Walk to nip down to the greenhouse for a spot of seed sowing in the sun!

No comments: