Tuesday 22 April 2008

Tulip explosion...

Weather: Summer seems to have arrived all of a sudden. No frost last night, the sun came out today and the temperature is in the high teens for about the first time this year.

The tulips have responded! Compare this photo with the photo on the previous post.
I had a busy weekend in the garden - although it was cloudy and cool the conditions for gardening were perfect. I worked on the borders - splitting many of my perennials, particularly those which may survive in the shady bit of border created from removing the huge Choisya back at the beginning of the year (see Jan 12th post). That bed is in the background on the photo below - but before I detail that the orange stems of the Eurphorbia in the foreground are remarkable at this time of year - I reckon they've grown a foot in a fortnight. It is Euphorbia Fireglow and was given to me by a fellow pupil at an art group a few years ago. It is quite rampant and spreads pretty quickly but it has a stunning display at this time of year.


I also rescued a statue of Aquarius who had been entwined in ivy and was all but invisible in her previous position. You can see her on the left of the photo - I'm sure she'll feature in later posts as I'm pleased with her new position.

So what did I plant...around her: a white Tradescantia (which I have read will grow in shade) moved from a bed where it was all but devoured by slugs last year. I took a punt on some pink Veronica which I split from a clump I grew from seed several years ago. I split some deep purple Monks Hood (very poisonous) from another shady spot so I'm pretty sure this will like its new position. I'm less convinced that Iris Sibirica will like it - I inherited it with the garden though and it was in a shady spot originally. There is also a bright pink Aster called Elsa Spath (I think) taken from a clump that was really in need of dividing so even if it isn't happy in the shade the original clump will have benefited from its thinning. There is Knautia Macedonica which also came from a sunnier spot....well it's worth a try. And the thinnings of Geranium Kashmir White...

And I treated myself to a new plant from Waterperry Gardens - I chose and Aquilegia called Leprechaun Gold. It is said to be tolerant of partial shade...it depends on how it interprets 'partial'!

How many of these will thrive or survive ...who knows!

No comments: